This is important as it enables clients to track not just how many applicants arrive from each media source, but also which media sources provide the best (or indeed worst!) candidates, measurable by how far they get through the application process. It enables us to capture the real source a candidate comes from as well as where they said they heard about the client.
To do this, Advorto require the original refering URL and landing URL, captured when a candidate lands on the microsite, to be transferred to the Advorto system at the point of transfer in some query string parameters.
We recommend that clients and advertising agencies also mark up any online media advertising in such a way that not only the site, but the specific advert or advert type can be tracked so it is possible to capture exactly what candidates click on to get to the microsite - it might be something like mediatype=banner, =button, =posting for jobboard ads.
So, for example, if the URL for the part of the careers site hosted by Advorto ishttp://careers.ClientName.com, and the interim third party microsite is hosted onhttp://Campaign1.ClientName.com, the process would be as follows:
1. Advert is placed on an online source
An online advert is placed, e.g. on www.jobsite.co.uk, which links to a careers microsite, hosted by a third party and not directly to a specific vacancy in the part of the careers site hosted by Advorto. The link is marked up in such a way that either the type of advert or the actual specific advert can be identified by the landing URL, e.g.http://Campaign1.ClientName.com?MediaType=Banner&BannerId=1234.
In this example:
- http://Campaign1.ClientName.com part of the URL is the link to the actual relevant page on the microsite
- The ?MediaType=Banner and the &BannerId=1234 are the parts of the URL that identify the advert type and the actual specific advert respectively.
2. Candidate clicks on the advert and is taken to a landing page on the third party microsite
At this point, both the referer URL and the landing URL should be captured in the web log files by the third party.
- The refering URL is the full web address of the page that the candidate was on when they clicked the advert link e.g. www.jobsite.co.uk/blah.cfm?id=239
- The landing URL is the full web address of the page that the link sent them to, i.e.http://Campaign1.ClientName.com?MediaType=Banner&BannerId=1234.
3. Hold on to the landing and referer URLs and pass them to Advorto
The challenge is now to hold on to this information throughout the candidate's journey on the microsite and to pass it through to Advorto at the point the candidate clicks 'Apply', and comes through to the part of the careers site that is hosted by Advorto.
In order to do this, the third party should include some custom development to firstly capture and hold on to the referer and landing URLs and secondly to pass this information to Advorto at the point the candidate is transferred to the part of the site hosted by us. Advorto recommend that this is done using some query string parameters.
So, using the example described above, the "Apply now" button (or equivalent) which transfers the candidate to the Advorto part of the site should generate a URL something like the following:
- http://careers.ClientName.com/vacancy.aspx?vacancyId=1234 is the actual link on the Advorto site being linked to
- &referer=www.jobsite.co.uk/blah.cfm?id=239 is the original refering URL captured by the third party
- &landingpage=Campaign1.ClientName.com?MediaType=Banner&BannerId=1234 is the original landing URL captured by the third party
4. Once the mechanism has been put in place, the following areas should be covered off with Advorto:
- Clients and their advertising agencies should confirm that they will be tagging media to capture the media source detail using the landing page URL if this is a requirement.
- Identify all the possible places on the third party microsite that link to the Advorto-hosted part of the site and put the measures described above in place to transfer the required information to Advorto.
- Agree on the query string parameter names, e.g. referer=xxx and landingpage=xxx, or perhaps something shorter and less specific such as r=xxx and l=xxx.
- Agree a testing plan with Advorto to test and confirm that the information is being transferred.